Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A look at cowboy common-sense


While listening to a seminar of sorts, related to filmmaking and film genres, and a discussion of "what happened to the Western," (what happened to "the Good Guy [often in that famous white hat] vs. the Bad Guy" [with the bandanna over his face] —i.e. the real and worth-your-time stories— as compared to the "not-so-Good Guy" vs. 'unimportant laws,' the natives, the towns folk, and the "not-so-Bad Guy" of today's Westerns) I heard this piece read;  The Cowboy Code, written by "the singing cowboy" Gene Autry.

I'd never heard Autry's Code before, partly since I really haven't seen many Westerns, (I know, bad me... :P) and very few people state their beliefs so clearly and honestly as this anymore.  But apparently it's very well known.  Or at least it was.  I'm inclined to think it's less so today, though it would be a great turn-around to see little boys of today looking up to a real hero again, like the characters Autry played.


Gene Autry wrote his Cowboy Code for all the young fans that wanted to be just like him.  His Code reflected the characters he portrayed in his hugely successful film and radio career:  Men of high moral character, who were God-fearing, honored women and children, respected authorities, and stood for everything that was good, decent, and fair.

The Cowboy Code  By Gene Autry

1. The cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.
2. He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him.
3. He must always tell the truth.
4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly, and animals.
5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.
6. He must help people in distress.
7. He must be a good worker.
8. He must keep himself clean in thought, speech, action, and personal habits.
9. He must respect women, parents, and his nation's laws.
10. The Cowboy is a patriot.

Pretty straight-forward, no?  Strange we don't hear (or sometimes even live by) simple truths like these very often anymore.  Partly due, I'm sure, to the fact that "modern" films and stories don't always deem it necessary to have a 'hero' to lead the story, just a protagonist (usually with very confusing morals, little idea of right and wrong, and no respect for those in authority, let alone God) for the viewer/reader to follow.  Hmm.

  But still, God knows, and He is in charge.  And boy, am I glad He is — if I was in His place, I would've thrown up my hands in exasperation long before now!  XP

"The more I see of the world, the more I am dissatisfied with it."
                                                                                     --Elizabeth Bennit
                                                                                (Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice)
...I know the feeling...  :P


"God is God and I am not;
I can only see a part
of the picture He's painting.

God is God, and I am man,
so I'll never understand it all—
for only God is God."
                                                  (Steven Curtis Chapman, God Is God)

No comments:

Post a Comment