Since this year I've been rather ridiculously excited for Autumn, and the first day of Autumn happened to fall on the 22nd this year, which is also Hobbit Day, (a very fitting combination, I think) I thought I'd post a reflection on both.
(I didn't get to post it on the 22nd, but since it's still Tolkien Week, and Fall has just started, it still works. :P )
Hobbiton, NZ
“Go back?” he thought. “No good at all! Go sideways? Impossible! Go forward? Only thing to do! On we go!”
--Bilbo Baggins, The Hobbit, Riddles in the Dark
"In the entire circle of the year there are no days so delightful as those of a fine October, when the trees are bare to the mild heavens, and the red leaves bestrew the road, and you can feel the breath of winter, morning and evening -- no days so calm, so tenderly solemn, and with such a reverent meekness in the air."
--Alexander Smith
'It would be worthwhile having a cultivated garden
if only to see what autumn does to it.'
--Alfred Austin
“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.”
--J.R.R. Tolkien

'Hooray! It's pumpkin season again. You did know this gourd-ish squash has its own season, right? Winter, Spring, Summer, Pumpkin. It's on the calendar. And we anxiously anticipate it every year.'
--Trader Joe's
No comments:
Post a Comment