Let me just start out by saying—
Yes, you should definitely go see this movie.
It is well worth your time.
Period. Enough said. Go to the theater now!!
I was so very encouraged and pleasantly surprised by this film! I started hearing about it all of the sudden, with very little idea that it was even in progress; I looked it up shortly before it came out, went to see it, and on walking out of the theater was so excited about and encouraged by this huge leap of a film from Christian filmmakers in the fight to 'take back the hill of Hollywood' we have long let go.
Certainly I could just go on and on about the details of the film and all the things I loved and was so grateful to see done so well, but instead I'll try to summarize some of the best aspects, and then encourage you to
get out and go see it yourself!
Right from the start, a very normal college semester quickly becomes a throw-down-the-gauntlet challenge against his faith for Josh Wheaton; the last thing on his mind is a philosophical debate opposite his philosophy professor in front of the entire class...
But when Professor Radisson's first assignment of the day (really more of an order than an assignment) is to write "God is dead" on an empty page and sign it, Josh's conscience holds him in check, with an awkward blank page in his hand as the Prof comes around to collect his trophies of submission.
"I can't do it," Josh tells him. "I can't do what you're asking. I'm a Christian."
Hmm, if looks could kill... "Well then, Mr. Wheaton," Prof Radisson says coolly, "you will need to defend the antithesis; that God is not dead, in front of the entire class."
Josh has until the next class to decide if he will take the challenge. Everyone, including his long-time girlfriend and his parents, tell him not to risk jeopardizing his grades; to focus on his future, sign the 'stupid paper' and move on. But that still, small Voice inside says otherwise -- to stand up and not be ashamed of the God he wants to serve, whatever the outcome.
Torn between everyone's wishes and the pull from his conscience, Josh talks with Pastor Dave about his problem.
"How many students are in that class?" the Pastor asks.
"Maybe eighty."
"And how many of them do you think would ever set foot in a place like this [church]?"
"Probably none."
Pastor Dave nods. "So this [debate] may be the only meaningful exposer to God that they'll ever have?"
"Probably..."
Josh decides to take the leap. He knows his other classes will probably fall behind as he studies for the heavy 'debates' each week in Philosophy, but now it's a matter of conviction. It's his calling for the semester, and he dives in head first to do the best job he can do.
The first of his presentations seems to go fairly well. But promptly afterwards, Professor Radisson makes it very clear that he intends to trip Josh up with anything he can.
...Oh, and it's also more of a personal affront than a debate -- from someone he sees as an uppity, Bible-thumping college freshman, against his own seasoned "scientific" mind and the "reason" he claims will trump any argument Josh can bring to the table.
Josh is surprised at the Professor's personal attack, and fairly shaken by his arguments following Josh's first presentation. But he learns that his own arguments are indeed making a difference in the thinking of some of his classmates and strives to press on, despite the Prof's threat to fail him at the end of the semester if he continues.
While Josh's struggle against the views of his Professor is the main thrust of the story, it also skillfully weaves together the lives of several other people, each fighting in their own way with the idea of God. (including an otherwise-has-it-all freelance journalist with an axe to grind against any Christians and non-vegetarians she can dig up, and a self-seeking careless stock-broker-type with everything he wants and nothing to loose.)
Really my only 'issues' with the movie were a very brief kiss between two actors, (which I personally don't feel right about if the actors are not married in real life) and a couple of fairly low-cut shirts on some of the girls; which I think may be more personal preference, as they didn't seem distracting, just more than my comfort level. Aside from that, I can't think of any other negatives off the top of my head.
This film was packed full of great lines and well-put common-sense statements. I was so enjoying every one of them as the scenes unfolded!
I was also so encouraged by how the entire film treated all of these very touchy, very 'religious' subjects with such great honesty and kindness.
More than anything else, it seems, we see film after film (sadly particularly from the Christian market) that come off as 'preachy', 'Bible-thumping', or just plain cheesy -- in my opinion, God's Not Dead did none of those. I'm sure if you came in looking for a way to discredit and disapprove of the film, you could find something; an agenda like that can nearly always come away with something to complain about.
But as an objective movie-goer who's ready to give the film a chance, I think you'll be blown away. I certainly was! :)
I loved the cameo from the Newsboys in the film! Such a fun idea; and I always love hearing from artists with such God-honoring hearts and messages.
So in closing, get out and support this film! Don't waste your time on the Noah movie... It's not even close to worth it... But a film like this with a great, not-smacking-you-over-the-head-message is WELL worth a theater ticket! ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment