Sunday, July 31, 2016

An old poem challenge. :)

  The other day I was looking over a bunch of poems I'd written years ago, and found one I thought I'd share.  I wrote it six years ago, in 2010, for a poetry challenge on the CleanPlace writer's I was blessed to be a part of.  The challenge was to write a 10-20 line poem, using this line (without changing it) as the opening or closing line:
                    'wings of the nightingale watch'
  And here is what my then-18-year-old-self came up with...  And I don't despise it today, so that's a pretty big accomplishment.  :P

                   Image result for nightingale bird

                          Nightingale Song
                           Poem by Bree M. M.  --  June, 2010
Listen to the wings of the nightingale, watch
as they brush through the black velvet sky—
Spangled with stars on this midsummer night;
I have hours to wait
till the breaking of dawn.
On the song of the nightingale
rides the breath of the night—
mingled with a hymn from the stars.
A humble brown bird with the moon
on its wings, graces the dark
with a prelude to light.
                                   ~       ~       ~
             Image result for summer stars
(photos belong to their original owners; poem, etc. belongs to me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment