Just a few quick thoughts for this Easter. Though these Good Friday and Easter celebrations get far less pomp and circumstance in general than Christmas does, I think they cause Christ followers to think more deeply about the events they commemorate. Here's what was standing out to me this year.
Tell the whole congregation of Israel that on the tenth of this month they are to take a lamb for each family, a lamb for each household.
...Your lamb shall be without blemish...
...They shall take some of the blood [of the lamb] and put it on the two doorposts and the lintel of the houses...
...For I will pass through the land of Egypt that night, and I will strike down every firstborn in the land of Egypt, both human beings and animals; on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the Lord. The blood shall be a sign for you on the houses where you live: when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and no plague shall destroy you when I strike the land of Egypt.
...For the Lord will pass through to strike down the Egyptians; when he sees the blood on the lintel and on the two doorposts, the Lord will pass over that door and will not allow the destroyer to enter your houses to strike you down.
Exodus 12:3,5a,7a,12-13,23
And when you were dead in trespasses and the uncleanness of your flesh, God made you alive together with Him, when He forgave us all our trespasses, erasing the record that stood against us with its legal demands. He set this aside, nailing it to the cross. He disarmed the rulers and authorities and made a public example of them, triumphing over them in it.
"The moon and stars they wept—
The morning Sun was dead;
The Savior of the world was fallen.
His body on the cross,
His blood poured out for us,
The weight of every curse upon Him.
One final breath He gave
As Heaven looked away;
The Son of God was laid in darkness.A battle in the grave—
The war on death was waged;
The power of hell forever broken.
As Heaven looked away;
The Son of God was laid in darkness.A battle in the grave—
The war on death was waged;
The power of hell forever broken.
The ground began to shake,
The stone was rolled away;
His perfect love could not be overcome!
The stone was rolled away;
His perfect love could not be overcome!
Now death, where is your sting?
Our resurrected King has rendered you defeated!
Our resurrected King has rendered you defeated!
Forever, He is glorified,
Forever, He is lifted high,
Forever, He is risen—
He is alive!
He is alive!
Forever, He is lifted high,
Forever, He is risen—
He is alive!
He is alive!
...We sing hallelujah—
The Lamb has overcome!"
(—Forever, Kari Jobe)

(As always, all pictures and quotes belong to their original owners, and are here for inspiration only.)
No comments:
Post a Comment