Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Merry Christmas, 2018


Merry Christmas to you today.
  May awe and gratitude for what our God has done for us move us in new ways this year and in those to come.

Rank on rank the host of heaven
                  spreads its vanguard on the way,
as the Light of light descendeth
from the realms of endless day,

                                    that pow’rs of hell may vanish
                                              as the darkness clears away.
—'Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence' (hymn, arranged by Ralph Vaughan Williams)

  “I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play,
And mild and sweet their songs repeat
Of peace on earth good will to men. 


  And the bells are ringing, peace on earth!
Like a choir they're singing, peace on earth!
In my heart I hear them;
Peace on earth, good will to men. 


  And in despair I bowed my head.
“There is no peace on earth,” I said.
For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men. 


  But the bells are ringing, peace on earth! 
Like a choir singing, peace on earth! 
Does anybody hear them?
Peace on earth, good will to men. 


  Then rang the bells more loud and deep:
God is not dead, nor does He sleep!
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men!


Then ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day;
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men.


  And the bells are ringing, peace on earth!
Like the angels, singing, peace on earth!

                                    —Henry W. Longfellow  (as sung by Casting Crowns)



(Pictures, quotes, etc. always belong to their original owners.  They are shown here for inspiration only, and I make no claim on anything that is not originally my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment