I had to say something about it when I saw this headline a little while ago:
Stephen Hawking Takes On God - Who Will Win?
...Hawking says God wasn't needed to create the universe.
Wait a minute... What? What do you mean, 'who will win'? Since when did any human 'have a chance' against God? Really now.
I'd like to give you some food for thought. I don't plan on trying to convince anyone to believe either side of the argument, but just to consider a few very interesting things.
For instance, there are many high-profile, leading evolutionary scientists who admit they don't even believe in the evolution they are teaching. That doesn't even count the evolutionists who, though they would never admit it in public, don't really believe what they teach.
Hmm, that's
Here's what Richard Lewontin, an evolutionist, has to say:
"We take the side of [evolutionary] science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of the failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so-stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a prior adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door." [emphasis added]
How is that supposed to work? 'Yes, we're accepting things we know make absolutely no sense, just because we're determined to keep God out of it.' (they know that if they ever allowed Him in, conscience would get a hold of them, and that would be uncomfortable) So they're locking God out of their world & trying to replace Him with their own theories. But He never really goes away.
[this next piece was taken from this page--> http://www.christiananswers. net/q-aiia/aiia-scientists. html -which also has the above quote]
Columnist George Caylor once interviewed a molecular biologist for an article entitled “The Biologist,” that ran on February 17, 2000, in The Ledger (Lynchburg, VA), and is in part reprinted here as a conversation between "G: (Caylor) and “J” (the scientist). We joint the piece in the middle of a discussion about the complexity of human code.
G: "Do you believe that the information evolved?"
J: "George, nobody I know in my profession believes it evolved. It was engineered by genius beyond genius, and such information could not have been written any other way. The paper and ink did not write the book! Knowing what we know, it is ridiculous to think otherwise."
G: "Have you ever stated that in a public lecture, or in any public writings?"
J: "No, I just say it evolved. To be a molecular biologist requires one to hold onto two insanities at all times. One, it would be insane to believe in evolution when you can see the truth for yourself. Two, it would be insane to say you don't believe evolution. All government work, research grants, papers, big college lectures—everything would stop. I'd be out of a job, or relegated to the outer fringes where I couldn't earn a decent living.
G: I hate to say it, but that sounds intellectually dishonest.
J: The work I do in genetic research is honorable. We will find the cures to many of mankind's worst diseases. But in the meantime, we have to live with the elephant in the living room.
G: What elephant?
J: Creation design. It's like an elephant in the living room. It moves around, takes up space, loudly trumpets, bumps into us, knocks things over, eats a ton of hay, and smells like an elephant. And yet we have to swear it isn't there!
[end quote]
How interesting... So, people on the other side of the argument, the evolutionary side, are purposefully ignoring that Intelligent Design even exists...
So, here's one of the questions I wanted to get to: What makes us think we can 'take on' God?
What makes us think we can 'take on' the Creator of the universe, and win? [even the word 'universe' literally means 'single, spoken sentence' —and that should make your eyebrows fly up!]
Despite the fact that it's ridiculous for us to challenge God, we all do it all the time— even sometimes without knowing it.
Look at what Job replied when God confronted him for complaining that He had given Job more than he could bear:
Then Job replied to the LORD:
“I know that You can do all things;
and no one can stop You.
You asked, ‘Who is this that questions my wisdom,
who speaks empty words without knowledge?’
It is I — I was talking about things I did not understand,
things far too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
“You said, ‘Listen now, and I will speak;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.’
My ears had heard of You
but now my eyes have seen You.
Hmmm...
'Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.' —Sir Isaac Newton
Even major, leading scientists like Sir Isaac Newton can acknowledge that Someone, not just some random force, had to have created this universe we live in. If they want to, that is.
If they don't want to, then they have to make up all kinds of crazy, extremely far-fetched theories to 'cover up' God's fingerprints all across creation and all history, even if they can't really believe the theories for themselves. They challenge God, and appear to be winning because the rest of the world is taken in by the theories they claim.
And then we, as Christ-followers, get all up-tight and nervous, wondering how we can 'defend' God, and in the process we shy away from giving answers to people's questions because we don't think our words are 'worth anything'.
'Scripture is like a lion. Who ever heard of defending a lion? Just turn it loose and it will defend itself.' --Unknown
Don't worry about peoples' words trying to discredit God. He's not pacing up in heaven, wringing His hands and wondering if He can come up with a good answer to the next doubt or question someone presents. No, He really can handle it. He knows all the answers, and every word of His is true. He 'sits on high, and laughs at those who plot against Him.'
The Lord exists forever; Your word, O Lord, is firmly fixed in heaven. Psalm 119:89
Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and Your law is truth. Psalm 119:142
Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will show you great and hidden things that you have not known. Jeremiah 33:3
It is His job to hold the universe together, and write eternity in the hearts of man. And He never forsakes what He has created. It is our job to trust Him and confidently proclaim what He has said.
This also comes from the Lord of hosts; He is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in wisdom. Isaiah 28:29
For they are well instructed; their God teaches them. Isaiah 28:26
Take a look at this reflection on how great and powerful our God is;
It is He who makes the clouds rise at the end of the earth; He makes lightnings for the rain and brings the wind from His storehouses. Psalm 135:7
(I don't know about you, but it's hard for me to imagine a whole storehouse full of nothing but wind! Wow!)
And one other thing: Just I so no one believes I'm just 'picking on' people I don't agree with... No, we are not allowed to judge any person, but we are called to judge their fruit.
But test everything, and hold fast to what is good. 1 Thessalonians 5:21
I want to leave you with this quote that puts theories in perspective:
"I have always borne in mind that a man is often better than his theories." —E. DePressense
No comments:
Post a Comment