Sunday, August 18, 2013

Feeding my hummingbird-holding obsession... :P

  Yes, I was out hummingbird-holding last evening...  :P  I've been teaching my lovely dance teacher how to 'hummingbird-hold,' and last night since her mama was in town for a surprise visit, my teacher and her mom came out to hold some hummers, and her husband came to take pictures.  And of course we had oodles of fun!  :)  (we discovered that hummers think bracelets made out of buttons must be some new kind of flower, and can't resist sticking their curious beaks in the buttonholes now and then... Way. cute.  ^_^)

  (sadly, this hummer pics aren't mine -- I'm not that fast at uploading...)

  Then after they all went home, I hadn't had quite enough of my buzzing friends yet...  So I went back out on the porch with one feeder and wrapped my hands around the base so they'd have to land in order to get a drink.  (Just because I like to be sneaky like that.  :P )

  In just a couple of minutes, and to my great delight, our dominant male Broad-tailed hummingbird flew by to investigate. (most of our hummers are immature, or don't have a full red throat, but he does)  Then, after chasing another hummer out of his way, he decided to land on me to drink his nectar!  Which he's never done before in all the years I've been hummingbird-holding; he always just flies by and comes back later when I'm not outside.
  Of course I was thrilled -- but I was even more thrilled when he stayed for a quite some time, and didn't chase another hummer off when it came up;  so then I ended up with two hummingbirds sitting on my fingers at once!  Something else I've never had before!  :)

  A little while later, I had another first;  One little hummer decided to sit on the very end of my finger, but since he kept slipping, he decided that didn't work.  So he buzzed over and landed on the hairband around my wrist, and then just sat on top of my hand, cocking his head at me.  ^_^  And yes, his feathers were very fluffy!

  Well, if I thought those three 'firsts' were enough...

  I decided to wait for "just one more 'one more' landing" before it got dark, 'cause that's just the way it is with obsessions...  :P  A few minutes after that, another cute little fella landed on me, so I was happy.  :)  And then (as if I haven't already written enough 'and then's in this post!) he decided to lick around the edge of the feeder with his tiny straw-tongue, where I guess he thought some nectar might be leaking or something, and he licked my fingers!!  O_o  I had to try not to giggle -- it felt like a wet stir-fry rice noodle.  :P  Then he flew away, came back another time, and licked my finger again.  That's a first I didn't see coming! :P

  So yeah, that's the quick version of my hummingbird adventures from last night.  :)

                   ...If It wasn't raining right now, I think I'd be out holding them again...

No comments:

Post a Comment