If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. —C.S. Lewis
Monday, June 30, 2014
A Hobbit Devotional --a review of sorts
So, a dear friend gave me this book, A Hobbit Devotional (by Ed Strauss) for my birthday this year, and I've been really enjoying it, so I thought I'd take a minute and recommend it to you. :)
There are 60 short chapters, each about three or four pages long, so they've made a great little less-than-five-minute addition to my quite time each day. Each chapter is a reflection in chronological order on a piece of the story from The Hobbit, with simple lessons and thoughts on things that can be learned from our favorite little Mr. Baggins and his companions; about trusting God, about fears, about not judging a Burglar by his diminutive appearance, about pride, about courage, and about what to do if you meet a strange little creature who keeps whispering to his "Precious-ss" all the time... (an important thing to know -- especially if, like me, you're not all that clever when it comes to riddles!)
I really look forward to reading my next little snippet from this devotional each day and reflecting on those things from The Hobbit that I first learned, but forgot; or things I miss in the excitement of turning the next page; or being inspired and comforted by wisdom for something God is teaching me in my current season of life. (Rather scary how often we are so like our little Hobbit friend in our own lives, isn't it?!)
So if you're looking for something to add to your quite time, I would recommend this little book to you. (and a big cup of tea with a second breakfast!) And in case you need a little more to go on before you run out your door on a wild adventure, here's a little piece from one chapter:
----from Chapter 8----
'...Despite his initial whining over the inconvenience of a rainstorm, Bilbo grew tougher through his experiences. In time, it took increasingly greater dangers and privations to cause him to bemoan his lot.
The hobbit continued to have second thoughts (and third, fourth, fifth, and sixth thoughts), as he was, after all, being tested to the limits of his endurance. But Mr. Baggins changed.
...Of course he occasionally longed for the things he'd once enjoyed -- but he stayed his course. ...[He didn't] turn around and trot back to the Shire. He was committed to the quest.
We'll need that same commitment, because we're sure to be tested. But when we resolve not to give up, a mere lack of creature comforts won't turn us from our path. We'll remain steadfast. God Himself will strengthen us.'
--from A Hobbit Devotional, by Ed Strauss
Labels:
books,
courage,
J.R.R. Tolkien,
Middle Earth,
quotes,
reviews,
The Hobbit,
trust
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment