Saturday, February 5, 2011

Tangled -movie review


What a fun movie that was!

The trailer for it was terrible, so I wasn't going to bother going to see Tangled.  But I did end up going when many friends kept telling me it was really good, and I loved the actual movie!  (which surprised me, since it's animated, and another Disney fairytale, etc.)

Rapunzel wasn't at all how they made her seem in the trailer.  She's really, in my opinion, the best Disney princess yet.  She's curious and thoughtful, has an innocent, childlike trust, and a lot of spunk.
Flynn is a great character, very different than your 'normal' Disney hero —and always at odds with the horse.  :P 

<iframe height="295" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D3jZRBeIVoU?fs=1" frameborder="0" width="480" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Pascal the chameleon and Maximus the horse were awesome, of course. And I almost died laughing more than once...

Tangled movie | Maximus

One thing to mention, though;  Tangled is a love story.  They did a great job with it, and it's not mushy or anything, but it still is a love story.  I thought it was very sweet and wasn't overdone, it's just something to note.  Especially if you have someone in your family who's easily effected by stories like that.  It'll fly over younger kids' heads, and us 'older kids' will just think it's sweet. But for the in-between age, (like 13 to 15-ish) it's something to keep in mind.

I do have 4 other complaints to mention:

  -1-     Flynn has some lines near the beginning about rebellion being "part of growing up" --some people have claimed that those lines were ment to be sarcastic, not to be taken seriously.  Whether that is true or not, younger children won't understand the difference, and they begin to think rebellion is 'just part of life.'  But we're never taught that in Scripture.  I think these lines would have been better left out of the film entirely.
  -2-     At one point, Rapunzel tells her 'mother' that she was "wrong about the world. And you were wrong about me."  While it's true she was wrong about Rapunzel, the statement before that makes it sound like the world is a perfect place, with no dangers to worry about.  Which is certainly NOT true.  While I understand that Rapunzel's lines might have been supposed to mean 'you were wrong to tell me the world was only evil,' the filmmakers needed to clarify this.
  -3-     The way Rapunzel's 'mother' is portrayed puts real, caring mothers in a tight spot, feeling like anything they say to their children will be misconstrud as the "mother knows best" that Rapunzel's 'mother' repeats all too often just to keep Rapunzel from asking questions.  Rapunzel's 'mother's' false concern comes too close to a real mother's genuine care and guidence for a child, and could make it seem like all your mother is trying to do when she says 'no' to something is to keep you from some great adventure, or something you want that seems 'harmless'.  This is, sadly, one of the things Disney has stooped to over the years; putting real, caring mothers in a bad light, along with (as is hinted at in the tower situation with Rapunzel) making something like homeschooling seem as though it makes children nievë and clueless about the world around them.
  (which is far from true -- Thankfully, more and more, people are realizing that the vast majority of homeschooled children are much wiser and more well-adjusted than many of their peers, but are still innocent [which is NOT the same as ignorant] and un-tainted, unlike most of the world.)
  -4-     Lastly, the song chosen to play during the credits at the end of the movie is really very selfish in nature. Which is the last thing any of us very blessed Americans need to hear.  :P

So anyway, all in all, I enjoyed it, but it's not a perfect movie.  So watch with a guarded heart. ;)

But just so you know... After watching this movie you may feel a strong urge to go out and practice your frying pan-wielding skills.  ;)  Or get a chameleon.

2 comments:

  1. Great review, Bree! I completely agree! :) Boy, I need to see that movie again before it leaves theaters... >.>

    I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen it 3 times so far... *ninja moment*
    Movies like that are why I need a theater room -they're just better when they're on a bigger screen. :P

    ReplyDelete