Thursday, June 14, 2012

Remember

You know what I mean when I say that for the million forwarded e-mails each of us receive in a year, nearly all of them are pointless, feel-good, and just plain silly.  I personally don't bother passing them on -- or even reading more than the first few lines myself.

But once in a blue moon, there is one worth sending to a few people you know won't be wasting their time.

Here is one of those rare exceptions.



First
Todd Heisler, The Rocky Mountain News

When 2nd Lt. James Cathey's body arrived at the Reno
Airport , Marines climbed into the cargo hold of the plane
and draped the flag over his casket as passengers watched
the family gather on the tarmac.
During the arrival of another Marine's casket last year at
Denver International Airport , Major Steve Beck described
the scene as so powerful: 'See the people in the windows?
They sat right there in the plane, watching those Marines.
You gotta wonder what's going through their minds, knowing
that they're on the plane that brought him home,' he said.
'They will remember being on that plane for the rest of their
lives. They're going to remember bringing that Marine home.
And they should.'


Second

Todd Heisler, The Rocky Mountain News


The night before the burial of her husband's body, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of 'Cat,' and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. 'I think it would be kind of nice if you kept doing it,' she said. 'I think that's what he would have wanted'.

Third

To a son from a grateful nation
 

 
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The Soldier
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.


Many
seem to forget both of them.

...And though it has been quoted a hundred thousand times ~ ~ ~ ~
The LORD is my Shepherd,
I shall want for nothing.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters;
He restores my soul.
He leads me in the path of righteousness
for the sake of His name.
Yes, even when I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death,
I will fear no evil,
for You are with me.
Your rod and Your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
my cup overflows with abundance.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.
                                            Psalm 23

No comments:

Post a Comment